Friday, August 15, 2008

The Cubicle Next Door

Another book by Siri Mitchell that caught my attention because of its ties to the Air Force. I found the main character's militant "green attitude" to be very off-putting. The main male character turns on the water to start washing dishes and she immediately turns it off telling him "most people use more water than they need" (meanwhile, it takes 7-8 minutes for the water to get hot in my kitchen and I will NOT wash dishes in cold water - that is just gross). That is just a minor example of her anti-people/pro-planet attitude that pervades the entire book.

I was also put off that her choice to not engage in certain pre-marital behaviors had nothing at all to do with God (this is "Christian" chick-lit, after all), but everything to do with not wanting to repeat her own mother's mistakes.

It almost seems to me that, after reading 2 of Ms. Mitchell's books, that she thinks that having her characters go to church once in a while qualifies her books to be on the shelf with other Christian titles. I don't think that is right and, even though I own a few more of her titles, I won't be reading any more of her work.

Bleh: 2 out of 5.

No comments: