Monday, May 19, 2008

The Virgin's Lover

UGH! I'm so relieved to be done with this book. I truly did enjoy the Philippa Gregory books I read a few years ago (The Other Boleyn Girl, The Queen's Fool), but this one just gave me a headache. I've always been fascinated by Queen Elizabeth I and her rule as an unmarried queen (which was unprecedented at the time). I often wondered if she really did choose to be unmarried or if there was a love that she could not acknowledge. I hoped this book would answer some of those questions. What I did not expect was to find that the two women in Robert Dudley's life would be so clingy, whiney and dependent on him. I don't know anything about Amy Dudley, but reading about a despondent Elizabeth whining about how she needs him and can't possibly run the country without him (as she constantly picks her cuticles until the bleed) just doesn't jibe with my mental image of the most famous queen of England. It was also hard to buy Elizabeth's change from a wishy-washy woman afraid to make a decision to a cold-hearted participant in the alleged murder of Amy Dudley in the last 10 pages of the book. This book is going right onto the give-away pile.

Not recommended: 1 out of 5

No comments: